Powerhouse agreement with W2T for project development consultancy 18/01/2017
- Current global MSW generation levels are approximately 1.3 billion tonnes per year, and are expected to increase to approximately 2.2 billion tonnes per year by 2025. This represents a significant increase in per capita waste generation rates, from 1.2 to 1.42 kg per person per day.
- The world's annual consumption of plastic, 5M tpy in the 1950s is 100M tonnes today. (WRAP)
- Plastic waste generated annually in the UK is estimated to be nearly 5 million tonnes (WRAP)
- Plastic destroys the ocean & wildlife & also represents a huge loss of embodied energy, even in countries with well developed waste disposal systems such as the UK
- Plastic has been shipped to China for inappropriate disposal – now banned by China
- A new answer is needed for safe disposal and to recover energy
- In 2014 2.2m tonnes of plastic were used in packaging in the UK (DEFRA)
- Only 842k tonnes were recovered, 37%, mostly milk and beverage bottles.
- Mixed Plastic is often landfilled
- Economically inefficient to destroy plastic through incinerators due to its high CV
- PERN encourages exporting the problem to other countries
- Until now no-one can valorise un-recyclable plastic cleanly and economically
What to do with waste plastics?
- Landfill – space limited and reducing, rising cost, resource wasteful
- Incineration – electrical efficiency limited by steam cycle & plastic reduces throughput
- Anaerobic Digestion – limited to biodegradable polymers
- Gasification – frequently poor quality syngas including CO2, tar and oils
A new answer is needed for safe disposal and efficient energy recovery
- DMG produces distributed power and hydrogen from mixed waste plastic
- DMG creating the new hydrogen economy